Annie's "Back To Eden"
How to Grow, Harvest, and
Preserve Vegetables Organically the 'Back To Eden' Way.
"When God designed the land sake project for
planet earth, He is so genius, He designed it in such a way, that He would
never have to show up for work. It is completely self-sustained."
--Paul Gautschi, Organic Gardener, Washington
The Annie's "Back To Eden" Garden
(ABTEG) website is just a personal one, a kind of "records book," so I'll have the
information at hand when I need it, mostly for the vegetables. I've tried to
find from two to five of the best articles on each vegetable, to get a better
understanding of what to do. For those of you who have stumbled on this
website, I hope you enjoy it and maybe even learn something.
Just about everything at Annie's "Back To Eden" Garden is going
to be an "experiment" because I was NOT raised on a farm, but only had tiny
gardens in city backyards, and the only animals kept were "pets." Am
retired now, so have lots of time to learn some new things, like... growing my
own heirloom veggies, canning, fishing and hunting, raising chickens,
rabbits and goats,
mushrooms, bees, and worms, having a small dwarf fruit/nut orchard, doing
some water "harvesting" off my roof, maybe having a "greywater" system for
the front yard orchard, and having a way to help supply the local food bank.
Also want to have a Prayer Walk in the front yard, have an Honor Stand, and
use the living room as a Classroom for Bible Studies, Ag classes, and a
gathering point for people wanting to evangelize. Am old and have bad joints, so things go slowly, as I have to just "putter"
to get anything done. But certainly am enjoying myself just the same.
"2013: Year of the Farmer"
"Workin' Farmer Style" Video Link
Dairy Farmer Music Parody
Truckers, Heartbeat of America
Special webpage of Charles Spurgeon farmer quotes and sermons
Marjory Wildcraft Video "Grow Half Your Own Food in Your Back Yard
1) In an attempt to eliminate spam, I've added gaps in the eMail
addresses, and use
green print (remember
to close the gaps if you use an eMail. Example:
abteg44 @ gmail.com (type it WITHOUT the
2) Due to theme software, hyperlinks (except eMail addresses) are
rust colored instead of the usual
3) When you see a Bible verse with an asterisk (*)
scroll down to the bottom of the page for more information.
4) You never know what you'll find here: cartoons, charts, jokes, songs,
recipes, and maybe an unusual photoshop of a
5) An apology is due, for using old software that no longer has support for
it's users. I don't know how to make my pages "center" on the screen,
without loosing half my page to being scrambled. Hope you don't mind my
6) Remember to bookmark this site in your Favorites folder, if you decide
it's worthwhile to you.
Everything at ABTEG is
going to be grown, raised, and canned
Chickens & Eggs
Compost & Manure
Goats and Milk
What I don't use/can myself will be sold at an Honor Stand in the front
yard, or donated to a food bank.
Why Farm Organically? Here's one Farmer's opinion:
How does Organic Farming benefit Farmers?
HOME TOWN FARMS
What do I mean by "Organic?"
- No toxic synthetic pesticides, herbicides,
- No chemical fertilizers or sewer sludge used
- No planting of genetically engineered crops
or use of cloned animals
- No synthetic hormones or antibiotics
- No artificial preservatives
- No artificial colors or synthetic flavors or
- No trans fats
- No irradiation
This is the seal I'll be working toward:
Methods Hold Water" in Organic Gardening, written by Amanda
Kimble Evans. Also see CHART.
Here is a
picture of my NEW home in Franklin County!
Here's a link that will take you
PROJECTS I'll be starting around the new homestead.
Here are photos of Paul Gautschi (see quote at
top of page). Even though I have never personally met him, I feel like he is
my garden mentor. He and God were my inspiration for starting Annie's "Back
to Eden" Garden:
if you'd like to watch Paul's "Back To Eden" Documentary.
Some of Paul's visitors:
"Our Visit to Paul Gautschi's Back to Eden Garden" part 1
"Our Visit to Paul Gautschi's Back to Eden Garden" part 2
"Our Visit to Paul Gautschi's Back to Eden Garden" part 3
"Back To Eden Garden: 5 Month Update"
How To Prune Your Orchard Like Paul's - part 1
HERE by L2Survive
How To Prune Your Orchard Like Paul's - part 2
HERE by L2Survive
Lessons learned from Paul's
1) cut off all suckers.
2) where the branches are too full, cut branches toward the center to bring
3) shorten or cut off branches that will touch the ground so the fruit won't touch it.
4) cut off one of the branches when they are crossing one another.
5) you can save a larger cut branch in a cooler to graft later in April.
6) several times during summer, use gloves and knock off the new buds.
7) don't worry about empty spaces, the tree will fill in next year.
8) trees are forgiving, if you make a mistake, the tree will give you new
options the following year.
9) unlike vegetables, fruit trees NEED to be cross pollinated.
10) don't try planting the seeds from fruit trees because you will not get
the same variety.
11) nurseries bring in bare root fruit trees in February, that's the time to
The Gardener’s Prayer
O Lord, grant that in some way it may rain
every day, say from about midnight until three o’clock in the morning, but
you see, it must be gentle and warm, so that it can soak in; grant that at
the same time it would not rain on Campion, Alyssum, Helianthemum, Lavender,
and the others which You in Your infinite wisdom know are drought-loving
plants - I will write their names on a bit of paper if You like - and grant
that the sun may shine the whole day long, but not everywhere (not, for
instance, on Spirea, or on Gentian, Plantain-lily, and Rhododendron), and
not too much; that there may be plenty of dew and little wind, enough worms,
no plant-lice and snails, no mildew, and that once a week thin liquid manure
and guano may fall from heaven. Amen.
--Karel Capek (1890-1938)
"Thou wilt bring them in, and plant them on Thy own
mountain, the place, O Lord, which Thou hast made for Thy abode, the
sanctuary, Lord, which Thy hands have established." (Exodus 15:17)